Sunday, July 1, 2012

Grilled Pizza

I can't believe I haven't posted about grilled pizza yet!!  Oh. My. Goodness.  It might not be a new concept, but it sure is delicious.  My mom pulled this recipe from Fine Cooking, issue 66, last summer, and we turned every Friday into a grilled pizza and movie night, until it got too cold to grill (although this was at the top of my "must eat while home on break" list for spring break).  Since the weather is warmer now, we've gone back to grilling pizza every weekend again.  Unfortunately I missed this week's grilled pizza to go see 'Brave'....totally worth it though.  I definitely recommend going to see it!  A little bit of a tear-jerker, but it was worth the $10.50 I paid. 

This recipe seems intimidating (initially the idea didn't fly with my dad) but honestly it's not any harder than baking a pizza.  And if you break up the prep and clean-up work, it goes all that much faster.

Dough on the grill in the first step


Some small changes to the actual recipe:

*I substitute about 6 ounces of whole wheat flour instead of APF.  The first time we made grilled pizza, we found the dough very, very, very sticky, and elastic--aka, it wouldn't hold its shape.  I found that by substituting even just a little WWF this helps with the stickiness and elasticity.  It also makes the pizza a little more substantial and filling.

*The roasted red pepper sauce is good, but it's a little acidic for my mom's taste, so after the first 4 or so times we made it, we just reverted to "normal" pizza sauce--a can of crushed tomatoes, cooked with a little sauteed garlic, red pepper flakes, and a combination of different herbs.

*My dad also started doing what he calls his "funky pizzas."  Usually these are sauceless pizzas that just have a little olive oil, herbs, and salt.  Essentially they're flat breads, but shhhhh don't tell him I gave them a name.

Friday's night pizza entailed an artichoke and chicken pizza...the fam is getting tired of the same old pepperoni/cheese/sausage/herb toppings, so we're trying to expand our horizons.  I've had some ideas--like a Mexican one, with chipotle rubbed chicken, cheddar, some grilled poblanos...or a seafood pizza at the beach, with leftover shrimp (or even fish), sauteed spinach and feta....instant yum.  The more inspirations the better, so let me know if you have ideas!  :)


Finished product! This pizza has pepperoni, fresh oregano, and mozzarella.


No comments:

Post a Comment